Wednesday, September 14, 2005

wednesday. i was beginning to feel really overwhelmed. i had to work (so much for my dreams of good timing and a long vacation with my new dog- the time to potty train, to bond, to frolick). i was exhausted. i had been up all night with a sniffly dog. i felt abandoned. i felt as if it were entirely my responsiblity to arrange for care for my puppy, when all i wanted to do was be there to care for him, twenty four hours a day, myself.

i got a call that i would have to work on thursday. i called brian in a panic. "i'm at work, and i need you to take care of this! how could you get me this dog and then split??! i need help!! i have a sick dog here, i have to work tomorrow, and he NEEDS to get to the vet!"

the pup continued to sniffle and sneeze, we continued to think of names: hugo, pomme, finn, ollie. none seemed to stick as much as the piglet. i went to petco, so elated that i could buy the puppy bed, the puppy leash, the puppy food, the puppy treats. no more picking up the bag of cat litter and staring longingly at the happy doggies trotting through the store. soon, milo would trot around petco at my side. soon, i would be an active participant of the dog run from the inside, not just a dogless onlooker from the outside. next week we would be going into our socialization period, a good time for us to have people over, for the pup to learn his manners when meeting people at the door. after that, i could bring him to work, introduce him to children so he wouldn't be afraid.

as for now, we were just working on housetraining, and he was picking it up like a champ. accidents were few. the pup knew me, and i knew the pup. he knew he wanted to please me. he tried so hard. he understood.

we were on a schedule. we went out for a pee, got a treat, chewed a bone, took a nap, drank some water, took a pee, got a treat....i loved it. every second of it. when i couldn't do it, my sister in law, whom we nicknamed "the nanny", took over, even leaving me little notes of when he had an accident, when he made it, when he ate.

i became the woman who carried treats in my pocket. i wanted to shower the world with treats.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home